If you live, work, or study in a space that heats up quickly and has inadequate air circulation, the hot season becomes a real challenge to survive. Your home’s uncomfortable temperature may be contributing to sleepless nights, but you can solve this problem with a ventless air conditioner. Due to their portability, they don’t take up much space when compared to traditional air conditioners. Additionally, these units are low-noise and energy-efficient. They’re made to make you feel more at ease, and you won’t have to bother about patching holes in the wall after they’re installed.
In this guide, you will know many types of portable air coolers, their benefits and drawbacks, and what you should think about before buying one. Choosing the equitable cooler, on the other hand, can be difficult. However, after you evaluate numerous factors that determine the characteristics each gadget has, choosing the correct one to fit your needs becomes unchallenging.
The Factors Attributed To Portable Air Coolers
Portable air coolers give effective cooling to locations that may not have access to permanent air conditioning or that simply require more cooling. Portable air conditioners are trendy for circulating cool air through rooms like bedrooms, offices, basements, computer rooms, and more. Thanks to their easy installation and mobility. Still not convinced? Look at the top factors attributed to portable air coolers.
- You can put them in any room that requires cooling, carry them around, put them in your car, and even take some models on a picnic or camping trip.
- Getting an air conditioner set up does not require hiring an expert or exertion. It’s a stand-alone, hand-held, or wheeled gadget that eliminates the need to drill holes in walls with screws.
- Most portable air coolers are cost-effective single-room comfort solutions when compared to other air conditioning types such as ductless mini-splits and, in particular, central air conditioners.
- Portable spot coolers are the ultimate user-friendly comfort since they are so simple to set up. The majority have caster wheels, making it very easy to transfer from room to room as needed. You can easily buy an air cooler online at your favorite rates.
- Using a small portable air cooler strategically can help you save money on central air conditioning. Using a portable cooler in one room instead of a 2.5-ton central air conditioner throughout your home may save up to 5 times on your monthly electricity bill.
- If you live in a humid region, you’re well aware of how unpleasant high humidity can be, especially during the summer. A portable cooler usually cools and dehumidifies at the same time. Rather than cooling options, it also has heat-mode and fan-only operation. These features make it the best room cooler and the perfect choice for indoor comfort.
Types of Portable Air Coolers
There are three types of air coolers to consider if you don’t want to install central air conditioning in your home or business. All these types of coolers help lower the air temperature inside a certain area, yet their functions are vastly different.
- Electric Fans
Electric fans don’t lower the room’s temperature, but they can assist cool your skin if the temperature isn’t too hot. A fan will blow hot air if the temperature is extremely hot. Portable electric fans are divided into four categories: stand or pedestal, box, desktop, and tower fans. Unlike desktop fans, box fans are typically smaller in depth, but their sizes vary widely. The features included are:
- Wind Modes (to create a breeze)
- Oscillation (to blow the air in different directions)
- Ionization (to purify the air)
- Timer (to program the fan to turn off or on at a specific time.)
The cost of electric fans is determined by additional features such as a timer or an ionizer, as well as the materials used and the brand. If you’re not looking for anything extravagant, a good quality fan can be had for a reasonable price. However, the blades of fan devices collect dust and other particles when not in use, causing everything to fly back at you when they are turned on, which is a problem if you have allergies or respiratory problems
- Portable Air Conditioners
Air conditioners that are portable work in the same way as other air conditioners do. These units can be positioned within and moved about instead of being installed on a window ledge or fixed outdoors (central air). However, their ducts must reach a window to remove warm, humid air from the room and replace it with cooled circulating air. The majority of portable air conditioners find their way into small to medium-sized rooms or offices. They don’t seem to be applicable in larger work areas, such as machine shops and other open, high-ceiling environments. The features included are:
- Remote Control (to control the device without interrupting your rest)
- Timer (to start or shut down the device at a specific time)
- Dehumidifier (to dries the air, which can be advantageous if you live in a humid environment)
- Thermostat (to set the temperature)
Portable air conditioners are designed to cool a 12 to 50 m2 room. They can cool the entire room and maintain the temperature you specify. Its weight is around 55 to 60 pounds with a size around 17 x 31 x 16 inches. However, it consumes a lot of energy. It can chill up to 350 square feet and uses 290 watts per hour. Also, if you don’t mind a humid climate, you’ll enjoy one with dry air, which may not seem like a significant concern but might lead to dehydration.
- Evaporative Air Coolers
Swamp coolers, also known as evaporative air cooling units, are more effective in dry climates as opposed to humid climates. To naturally lower the temperature around the cooler, they draw in hot air and use an evaporative media pad and water drip system. These coolers perform best in arid climates around the world for indoor usage; however, they can be used outside regardless of humidity. Portable evaporative air coolers are available in a variety of sizes, ranging from modest workplaces to thousands of square feet. Multiple swamp coolers can be added to large stores at any time; because they are so inexpensive to run, multiple units will scarcely raise your energy bill or bottom line. Switching from air conditioning to evaporative air coolers will save you a lot of money right away. However, features included are:
- Different Cooling Speeds (to control the rate at which cool air is blown out.)
- Air Filtration (to remove dust particles from the air)
- Remote Control (With a remote control or mobile app, one can change settings from a distance)
- Timer (to start or shut down the device at a specific time)
It is only necessary to spin a fan on an evaporative air cooler for just a few seconds to evaporate moisture from the pads, so you save a lot of energy. These air coolers are safe for you because they do not require any possibly hazardous compounds to chill the air. Indoor humidity levels should be between 30% and 50%, according to experts. A swamp cooler will assist you in maintaining a healthy temperature. However, it is easy to clean and does not need any tricks to work.
What to Look for When Buying a Portable Air Cooler
Here are the most important factors to consider while selecting the best portable air cooler.
- The climate of your area of residence: If you are living in a mostly dry area with less than 30% humidity level, you will have to choose a portable evaporative cooler. A portable fan would be a better choice, if you are living in an area with a humidity level of more than 50%.
- Size of the device: Personal evaporative coolers and small fans are better for small rooms. For medium-sized rooms, choose swamp cooling fans or box fans. For large areas, tower fans and portable air conditioning units are the best options to consider.
- Materials used: Materials affect both health and durability. The two common materials used are plastic & ABS plastic.
- Filters: Filters are used to change the air quality. Fiber filters trap bacteria, fur, spores, and other dust particles. Cellulose filters made of organic fibers are used to swap unwanted particles from the air. Carbon filters help remove gases from the air flowing through a device. Patented materials provide better evaporation and it does not allow building bacteria.
- Effectiveness: For low temperatures, you can choose different types of electric fans. For medium temperature, use cheap evaporative coolers. Use high-quality evaporative coolers in high temperatures.
- Energy consumption: It depends on the size of the space, the type of device, and many other features. So you need to look at the air cooler best brand and its description to know the energy consumption.
- Features: Before choosing a device, look at the features such as water level indicator, timer, remote control, or Wi-Fi.